If you need to heat tubing, it’s wise to use a proper heat gun, not a hairdryer. This is because the latter is not powerful enough to efficiently activate the adhesives and lead solder within most tubing. However, finding the best heat gun for heat shrink tubing nowadays can be confusing with all the options in the market.
In the past, heat guns had a fixed temperature setting. That means there is a heat gun for heat shrink connectors, a heat gun for shrink bands, a heat gun for vinyl wrap, and a heat gun for epoxy. With the evolution of technology, you can now find heat guns with an adjustable temperature, thus allowing you to use just one device for the above-mentioned applications.
Whenever I look for a heat gun, these are the three main factors I consider:
- Temperature range and setting: the lowest and highest temperature a heat gun can emit. This is important because some items can’t be heated too much, while some applications require a lot of it.
- Build quality: like with any tool, it’s important to have a device that won’t get easily damaged during use, more so when you’re going to use this in construction and other projects.
- Safety: because heat guns consume a lot of electricity and produce a lot of heat, it’s important for the device to have features that will avoid overheating and overloading problems.
I will discuss these factors and more later. In the meantime, to help you choose the best heat gun for shrink tubing, I made a list of devices that I have used before or am currently using for my electrical contractor business. Each of these devices has its own pros and cons, which can give you an idea of what the market offers.
Table of Contents
- Best Heat Gun for Heat Shrink Tubing Reviews
- 1. SEEKONE SDL-2816 Heavy Duty Hot Air Gun
- 2. Wagner Spray Tech HT1000 Heat Shrink Gun
- 3. Genesis GHG1500A Heat Gun Kit
- 4. Wagner Spray Tech HT400 Heat Embossing Gun
- 5. Fujiwara 1500QRF-01 Heat Gun Kit
- 6. BLACK+DECKER Heat Gun
- 7. NEU Master Prulde HG0080 Hot Air Gun
- 8. Porter-Cable Heat Gun
- 9. SEEKONE HG886 Heavy Duty Hot Air Gun
- 10. Fujiwara 2000QRF-01 Heat Gun Kit
- 11. FloweryOcean Heat Shrink Tubing
- 12. NEU Master Prulde N2190 Hot Air Gun
- What to Look for When Buying Heat Guns for Heat Shrink Tubing
- How Do You Heat Shrink Tubing
- What Temperature Does Heat Shrink Tubing Melt
- Will a Hair Dryer Shrink Heat Shrink Tubing
Best Heat Gun for Heat Shrink Tubing Reviews
1. SEEKONE SDL-2816 Heavy Duty Hot Air Gun
The Seekone Heavy Duty Hot Air Gun is one of the best choices for those who want an accessible heat temperature setting. It has a temperature range of 120 up to 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit. We can set the temperature freely using its variable control, so the output changes according to our needs.
The good thing about this product is that the company included four different nozzles. There are two concentrated nozzles for a directed flow, one deflector nozzle for a long and narrow flow, and one reflector nozzle for dispersing heat evenly across a surface.
The device has an ergonomic design that makes it easy to use. It also helps increase your productivity by avoiding strain injuries while you’re using it. Furthermore, it has a built-in overload protector, which automatically cuts the power when it gets too hot for safety.
- Temperature range of 120 up to 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit
- Variable temperature control to set required output temperature
- Comes with four different nozzles for various work applications
- Ergonomic design helps increase your work productivity
- Built-in overload protector will automatically cut power for safety
- Does not include a proper stand
2. Wagner Spray Tech HT1000 Heat Shrink Gun
This tool for heat shrink tubing offers excellent durability. Even though its frame is made from a lightweight material, it is still designed to take a beating. I have used this device in the harsh conditions of construction projects, and it still hasn’t failed me. It also features a corrosion-resistant nozzle for long-lasting use.
It has an adjustable two-speed fan setting, allowing you control over the amount of hot air it blows. It also has a quick access dual temperature setting of 750 and 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s easily adjustable, so everyone can change the output power and temperature on the fly.
Another good thing about this device is its hanging hook design. It allows you to store it upright on your wall. This will give users a more organized look in their storage and easy access to this heat gun. You can also use this feature to cool it down before storing it in your toolbox.
- Lightweight yet durable frame allows it to withstand harsh use
- Corrosion-resistant nozzle for long-lasting usage
- Quick access dual-temperature switch enables you to change settings on the fly
- Two-speed fan setting will allow you to control the amount of hot air emitted
- Built-in hanging hook will allow users to store this device on their wall
- Nozzle takes a long time to cool down
3. Genesis GHG1500A Heat Gun Kit
I like the Genesis GHG1500A Heat Gun Kit because of its powerful 12.5 amp motor. This allows me to use it across multiple applications, even with heavy-duty works like paint removal. It also features an RC engine that assists the motor during startup, making it heat faster.
The heat gun blows around 17 cubic feet of air per minute, making it efficient and allows me to work quickly. These features assure me that this is a reliable heat gun and that I can use it practically for any job that I might encounter.
I also appreciate that Genesis included four nozzles in the package. This allows me to use it across different applications, like heat shrink tubing installation, focused heating of small items, and even paint scraping. It’s also UL and ETL certified, meaning it has passed all the product safety requirements set by the US.
- Powerful 12.5 amp motor is useful for multiple applications
- RC engine assists warm-up for faster startups
- 17 cubic feet of air per minute for output volume help you work faster
- Four nozzles included in the package for different uses
- UL and ETL certification give you safety and security
- Body tends to get warm over long periods of use
4. Wagner Spray Tech HT400 Heat Embossing Gun
The Wagner Spray Tech is an excellent heat gun for craft applications. It has two temperature settings: 450 degrees Celsius for low and 680 degrees for high. These settings are perfect for shrinking electrical tubes, embossing cards, and other crafting projects.
Its design allows you to hold it in several ways. You can use a pencil grip, a palm grip, or even a hand-free position. The heat gun features cool-touch sidebars, which will make you feel comfortable and protect you against burns when using it in a pencil grip position. These features are handy for those who need precise work with their projects.
In addition to its handy features, its unique angled design helps users reach tight areas even without any accessories. In addition, the 0.7-lb weight of the product will reduce hand fatigue, even if you’re working long hours.
- Two temperature settings for craft and wiring application
- Three convenient ways of gripping give us the freedom to use it in any position
- Cool-touch sidebars make it comfortable to use while protecting you against burns
- Unique angle design helps access hard-to-reach areas without extra accessories
- 7-lb weight reduces hand fatigue
- Low air output could cause you to work a bit slower
5. Fujiwara 1500QRF-01 Heat Gun Kit
When I was looking for a heat gun for my paint removal project, I came upon the Fujiwara 1500QRF-01. I was amazed because the manufacturer included ten accessories in the package, including a shovel, which made it absolutely versatile. My friend who used this heat gun also likes it.
This device heats up quickly. As soon as you turn it on, it will only take about a second and a half for it to start heating. There are also two temperature settings in the trigger, so I can set it to my desired power without difficulty. The heat gun’s rear cover also has a flat surface, allowing me to place it on its back for hands-free operation.
If you encounter any problems, Fujiwara’s customer service will help you solve them. Additionally, they will give you the choice of either a replacement or a full refund if you’re not satisfied with your purchase.
- Includes ten accessories that make the heat gun absolutely versatile
- Takes about a second and a half to go from totally cold to operationally hot
- Low and high-temperature setting in the trigger allows temperature change
- Hands-free operation with its flat rear cover
- Excellent customer service, replacement and refund available
- Emits electromagnetic interference and can disrupt your Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
6. BLACK+DECKER Heat Gun
I would recommend the BLACK+DECKER Heat Gun because it’s an excellent brand. I, myself, have used several BLACK+DECKER products, and I’m delighted with their performance. This heat gun is no different from my other BLACK+DECKER tools.
One thing I like about this heat gun is that it has a lower rating of 1,350 watts. Even though its competitors are usually rated at 1,500 watts, this heat gun still performs as well. It also has a lightweight and compact design, making me feel comfortable while using it.
The heat gun also has an easy-to-activate switch. It doesn’t take much force to turn it on, so my hands don’t feel strained, even if I use it over long periods. Furthermore, the button design also considers safety. It has a cover to prevent accidental switching.
- Made by one of the most trusted brands when it comes to tools
- Has a lower rating of 1,350 watts yet still maintains high performance
- Lightweight and compact design is comfortable to hold and use
- Easy-activate switch reduces hand strain
- Safe button design avoids accidental activation
- More expensive than other brands
- No accessories included
7. NEU Master Prulde HG0080 Hot Air Gun
This Prulde HG0080 Hot Air Gun is designed specifically for use with delicate work. It has a flexible cord base that adjusts up to 90 degrees, allowing you to maneuver freely without the cable blocking your movements. Furthermore, its grip is specially designed so that holding it will remain convenient no matter our position.
The innovative ceramic heating element inside the heat gun allows it to operate with greater efficiency while increasing safety. It also allows the product to heat up quickly, so you can use it immediately as soon as you turn it on.
The company also includes four accessories for specific uses: reflector nozzle for tubes, wide jet surface nozzle for paint and adhesive removal, reduction nozzle for welding and soldering, and a glass protection nozzle for stripping paint and adhesive near sensitive materials.
There’s also a refund and replacement program, so shoppers shouldn’t be concerned about wasting money on this item. It’s another thing that gives me peace of mind regarding my purchase.
- 90-degree flexible cord allows you to maneuver the heat gun freely
- Unique handle design makes it convenient to operate
- Ceramic heating element provides better efficiency and safety during use
- Fast heat feature will enable you to use it as soon as you turn it on
- The included four nozzle accessories expand its usability
- Refund and replacement
- Subpar instruction material
8. Porter-Cable Heat Gun
This heat gun has a different design because of the protruding rubber bumpers on both sides. It’s perfect because it protects the product from damage in case you drop it. This makes the Porter-Cable Heat Gun an excellent tool for construction areas and job sites where a lot is going on.
Aside from its protection, it also has a dial that allows you to set the output temperature from 120 to 1,150 degrees Fahrenheit. This allows the heat gun to be used in light and delicate applications, like electronics, and with heavy work requiring higher temperatures, like pipe bending.
It also emits less noise than other heat guns, allowing you to focus more on your work.
The 6-foot high-grade cord allows you to move around freely in your work area. Furthermore, the gun’s relatively light weight of 2 lbs reduces your strain and fatigue. These features will allow you to accomplish more with less effort.
- Rubber bumpers on both sides protect the item from damage
- Temperature dial allows setting from 120 to 1,150 degrees Fahrenheit
- Performs much quieter than other heat guns
- 6-foot long high-grade cord gives excellent freedom of movement
- Only weighs in at 2 lbs, allowing you to do more with less effort
- Accessories are not included in the package
9. SEEKONE HG886 Heavy Duty Hot Air Gun
Most people, especially professionals like myself, consider pricing when making a purchase decision. But at the same time, we want to get good value out of our tools. So, we balance our budget and our needs carefully. To me, the Seekone HG886 provides excellent affordability while retaining exceptional features.
This device is robust enough to last up to 500 hours of continuous use. It also has overheat protection, which immediately activates when overloading occurs. That’s why I am confident I can use this heat gun on all my projects without fear that it will stop working midway.
It has 725 and 1,112 degrees Fahrenheit temperature settings, allowing me to choose the appropriate amount of heat for my purpose. Furthermore, it features a flexible cord protector near the grip base, preventing damage to its cable. It also has a hanging hook for cooling and storing the heat gun.
- Excellent affordability while retaining exceptional features
- Robust enough to last up to 500 hours of continuous use
- Overheat protection immediately activates when overloading occurs
- Two temperature settings of 725 and 1,112 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cable’s designed with protection
- Hanging hook for efficient storage
- Emits smoke sometimes
10. Fujiwara 2000QRF-01 Heat Gun Kit
For complex and advanced applications, the Fujiwara 2000QRF-01 is one option everyone should look at. It has a powerful 2,000-watt motor, allowing us to use it in practically any application. From thawing a frozen pipe to removing a stuck-up nut and bolt, from bending metal and plastic pipes to scraping off paint and adhesives, this high-temperature heat gun can do the job.
The build quality and safety features of this device are also excellent. Firstly, it has excellent insulation and high-temperature protection, ensuring that the body will not heat up while you’re using it, thus protecting your hand. Secondly, its handle will give you a better handgrip, avoiding slippages and accidents.
The best thing I like about this product is that it includes ten multipurpose attachments, including 5 different nozzles, a paint shovel, and other accessories. It also has a flat rear cover and bracket, allowing it to stand independently on its back for hands-free operation.
- Powerful 2,000-watt motor allows use for almost any application
- Excellent high-temperature protection ensures the body will not heat up during use
- Non-slip handle gives you a better grip while using
- Includes ten multipurpose attachments
- Flat rear cover and bracket make for an ideal upright stand
- Doesn’t come with a storage box
11. FloweryOcean Heat Shrink Tubing
This mini heat gun for heat shrink works well for my tubing, crafts, and other essential applications. The FloweryOcean Mini Gun comes at a compact size of 24 cm, making it convenient to use. It also has a small stand, so you can put it down safely while keeping the nozzle off your surfaces.
The two vents on either side of this device help reduce heat build-up, making it more comfortable to hold. Furthermore, the device doesn’t consume much electricity. It has a low watt rating, making it efficient to use and helps you avoid high electrical fees.
In addition, this package has excellent value because it also comes with 328 pcs of shrinkable tubing. They contain different sizes, from 1mm up to 14 mm. The tubing also has various colors, which you can use to cover and repair light electrical lines.
- Works for a number of applications like crafts and home tubing
- Comes at a compact size of 24 cm and with a small stand
- Dual-vent system helps reduce heat build-up in the heat gun
- Low-watt rating makes it electrically efficient
- Includes 328 pcs of high-quality heat shrink tubing in the box
- Tubing has sizes from 1 mm up to 14 mm and different colors
- 392 degrees Fahrenheit operating temperature is suitable for light use only
12. NEU Master Prulde N2190 Hot Air Gun
For buyers who need a heavy-duty heat gun for intense work, the NEU Master Prulde N2190 is a good option. It’s ultra-sturdy, allowing you to use the device for over 600 hours at maximum temperature. That means you can continuously use it throughout the day without worrying that it may overheat.
It also comes with a 6.5-ft long power cord. It’s enough length to let you move freely with this device in a large work area. Furthermore, the grip with its handguard design provides additional safety while you’re at work.
The product itself comes with four nozzle accessories, which allows me to use the heat gun in different applications. With these nozzles, we can use the device for shrink wrapping, heating shrink tubes, paint removal, phone application, and more.
But what I like best about this product is that the company takes pride in its after-sales service. They promise that if you encounter a problem with your heat gun, they will replace it, not just repair it.
- Ultra-sturdy, lets you use the device for over 600 hours at max temperature
- 5-ft long power cord gives excellent freedom of movement
- Handguard design provides additional safety for the user
- Four versatile nozzles included for various applications
- Excellent after-sales services with a replacement guarantee
- Lowest setting of 800 degrees might still be too hot for lighter applications
What to Look for When Buying Heat Guns for Heat Shrink Tubing
It is not easy to find the best heat gun for heat shrink tubing, especially nowadays, with many options in the market. But, when I am looking to buy one, these are the features that I look for:
I pick the temperature operating range of the heat gun based on my application. For small crafts and delicate work, I look for a device with a low minimum operating temperature. But, on the other hand, if I need a heat gun for heavy-duty work, like pipe bending, I search for those with high maximum limits, up to 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit.
The introduction of temperature dials for heat guns allows me to have one device for all my projects. So, this is a feature that I also consider when making a choice.
I prefer buying from known brands when it comes to my tools. This is because I know that they have excellent build quality and will last longer than some competitors. However, it doesn’t mean that I won’t look at other options, especially when I’m on a budget.
This is very important for DIYers and professionals, especially if you’re working on multiple projects at the same time. When one of your tools fails during work, it could cost you time and money.
Furthermore, the guns must be tough enough to withstand the harsh environment of construction and job sites.
When I’m choosing a heat gun, I prefer one that’s easier to hold. This is especially important for me because I have on-site personnel working for hours at a time. Having a comfortable tool will allow them to accomplish more without being too tired.
When I’m choosing a heat gun, I first look at its price, then I look at its package. I don’t necessarily go for the cheapest option. Instead, I look for the product that will give me the best value.
How Do You Heat Shrink Tubing
How you heat shrink tubing depends on the brand. Some tubing requires crimping before it can be heated for sealing, while some have lead solder inside, negating the need to crimp.
There are heat shrink tubes with a built-in wire guide, so you only need to use one hand to install it. Others require you to hold both ends of the cable for an accurate alignment. If this is the case, you have to use the hands-free function of your heat gun to seal it properly.
Most heat shrink tubing packs have their own instructions, so you should read these first before using the heat gun. That way, you’re sure that you’re doing it correctly and avoid wasting both heat and cable.
What Temperature Does Heat Shrink Tubing Melt
Heat shrink tubing melts at different temperatures. You have to check the instructions in the package so that you don’t overheat and damage it.
However, most common heat shrink tubes use polyolefin as their material. Typically, this would melt at around 90 degrees Celsius. On the other hand, resin tubing requires a higher temperature of 260 degrees Celsius to melt.
Will a Hair Dryer Shrink Heat Shrink Tubing
Yes, you can heat some highly shrinkable tubing using hair dryers, but it may take longer than a heat gun. This is because hairdryers have a wider mouth designed to dissipate hot air across a larger area. On the other hand, a heat gun is focused, so you spend less time heating your heat shrink tubing.
Also, hairdryers aren’t designed to operate at a high temperature required for some heat shrink tubings. This is for safety, as hairdryers are intended for human use. If they’re too hot, they could cause burns, so they rarely go above 140 degrees Fahrenheit.
Nothing beats using heat shrink guns when it comes to heat shrink tubing. Using hair dryers to replace heat gun is not enough to shrink all types of tubing. This is especially true if you need to use thick tubing or tubing made of hard materials.
It is wise to have the best heat gun for heat shrink tubing, especially if you want a professional result. And now that you have an idea of the characteristics of the best heat gun for electronics, you can now purchase what best fit your needs.
I am Edwin Jones, in charge of designing content for Galvinpower. I aspire to use my experiences in marketing to create reliable and necessary information to help our readers. It has been fun to work with Andrew and apply his incredible knowledge to our content.