I’m the kind of person who doesn’t replace appliances and electronics as long as they’re still working. I actually own a fifteen-year-old 32” LCD TV in my bedroom and an old 19” LCD monitor for my security home system.
But as technologies advance, I also have to make sure that my old devices keep up with the times. Since some of my old devices only accept VGA ports, I had to find the best HDMI to VGA converter to connect some newer electronics.
I’m going to review twelve adapters that convert HDMI to VGA. These items will help your old, yet useful appliances keep up with developments and prolong their life.
Table of Contents
- Best HDMI to VGA Converter Reviews
- 1. Benfei 000181 HDMI to VGA Cable
- 2. Moread HDMI to VGA Adapter
- 3. Rankie 1080P HDMI to VGA Adapter
- 4. UGreen 40248 HDMI to VGA Adapter
- 5. Benfei 000155 HDMI to VGA Adapter
- 6. Cable Matters HDMI to VGA Adapter
- 7. AmazonBasics HDMI to VGA Adapter
- 8. UGREEN Active HDMI to VGA Adapter
- 9. Belkin B2B127-BLK HDMI to VGA Adapter
- 10. QGeeM HDMI to VGA Adapter
- 11. VicTsing HDMI to VGA Adapter
- 12. VicTsing HDMI to VGA Adapter
- What to Look for When Buying HDMI to VGA Converters
- Can You Convert HDMI to VGA? How?
- Why is My HDMI to VGA Adapter Not Working?
Best HDMI to VGA Converter Reviews
1. Benfei 000181 HDMI to VGA Cable
When I renovated my room, I bought a larger table to place my electronic devices on. The new configuration had my electronic devices away from the TV, now located near the foot of my bed. Good thing I found the Benfei 6′ HDMI to VGA Cable to replace the shorter one that I originally had.
This extra-long HDMI to VGA converter adapter offers excellent image quality and stability due to its built-in intelligent chipset that converts the digital HDMI signal to analog VGA. Despite this, it had a compact and lightweight cable design that makes it easy to bring the piece along for any required connection.
As expected, the premium accessory can handle frequent use due to its gold-plated construction and molded strain relief. Plus, deteriorating effects such as abrasion and corrosion are not an issue with the piece, even over time.
The adapter is widely compatible with most devices, including desktop computers, laptops, TV boxes, gaming consoles. It also supports different resolutions – such as 720p, 1280 x 1024, 1600 x 1200, and 1920 x 1060 (1080p) Full HD.
What I like best about this is its 18-month warranty, making the purchase risk-free for first-time users.
- Excellent image quality and stability with the built-in chipset
- Compact VGA plug design that you can easily plug in any device
- Compatible with various devices – desktops, laptops, TV boxes, among others
- Supports different resolutions up to 1080p Full HD
- High-quality gold-plated converter with molded strain relief
- Comes with an 18-month warranty
- Cannot convert signals from VGA to HDMI port
- Not work with low-power devices
2. Moread HDMI to VGA Adapter
In our office, we still have several projectors that are quite old. Now I’ve recently bought a computer which no longer has a VGA port, so I needed to find the best HDMI to VGA adapter I can use reliably on the go.
This portable adapter can be easily placed in any laptop bag or pocket for easy access. It’s much smaller than a wireless mouse and weighs only 1.11 ounces. With this nifty gadget, I can use the office’s existing VGA cables to connect my brand new laptop to our old projectors.
I appreciate the gold on the HDMI and VGA connectors and its bare copper conductors, as they improve signal quality and help prevent degradation and loss of the image. It also has a smart chip that stabilizes the image during conversion, ensuring that we can view it with the best quality, despite our screens and projectors’ age.
It can transmit various resolutions up to 1080p Full HD, so I’m sure that my presentations are being shown in the best possible quality.
If you hesitate to try, you should know that it also comes with a 1-year warranty. Such a policy made me confident about the product’s long-lastingness when I first bought it. And luckily, the device does not disappoint.
- Portable size and lightweight for breezy carrying around
- Gold-plate A connector & bare copper conductors for improved signal
- Built-in smart chip stabilizes image during conversion
- Transmits up to 1080p Full HD resolution
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Some monitors cut portions of the screen due to unrecognized resolution
3. Rankie 1080P HDMI to VGA Adapter
I first found out about converting HDMI to VGA when I bought my first gaming console. Its only available port is HDMI, but my TV lacked this. Good thing I found the Rankie 1080 HDMI to VGA converter, which meant I didn’t have to buy new cables, or even a new TV, to play games.
This powered HDMI to VGA converter is a plug and play device. It will work on any machine – whether it’s a gaming console, a computer, or even TV boxes. As long as it has an HDMI port, you can use this adapter.
The converter supports full HD screen resolutions of up to 1920 x 1080 pixels. Plus, it also works with lower and uncommon resolutions, such as 720p and 1600 x 1200 of your old devices.
It has an included port and 3.5 mm audio cable to connect to external speakers, headphones, and other sound systems.
Its connectors are gold-plated for better conductivity and improved signal quality. You can rely on this product for a long time due to its robust construction that resists corrosion.
The makers also added a micro-USB cable to power it for devices that do not supply voltage over their HDMI ports.
- Plug and play, no tools needed to install
- Compatible with almost all devices
- Supports multiple resolutions up to 1080p Full HD quality
- Included audio port and cable for sounds
- Gold-plated connectors for improved signal quality
- Robust structure that resists corrosion
- Not recommended for switching devices all the time
4. UGreen 40248 HDMI to VGA Adapter
The UGreen HDMI to VGA adapter is among the best available in terms of sleek design, durability, and broad compatibility.
In truth, the piece has an excellent build quality, giving you the impression that the brand spared no expense in making the product.
Besides the main adaptor, its package also comes with a micro-USB cable to power the converter for use with low-power HDMI ports. The active converter takes power via USB if your gear’s HDMI port doesn’t have enough voltage to run the converter chip. This chip not only converts the digital signal to analog but also enhances the quality of the video and audio output.
As such, this adapter is compatible with nearly all devices, so you can pretty much use it with everything you own. From Macbook mini to Laptop, and Chromebook, this active converter can connect to those devices and offer large-screen viewing for users.
The aforementioned audio output also means that you would only need a single output port on your device to watch and listen – perfect if your device doesn’t have an audio jack.
This is one of the best HDMI to VGA Converter with Audio converters on the market. I was impressed enough that I bought two and gave one to a friend.
- Excellent built quality
- Micro-USB cable included for power
- Compatible with nearly all devices, including those with low-power HDMI ports
- Comes with a built-in audio output port
- Internal converter chip enhances the analog signal quality
- No warranty provided for the product
5. Benfei 000155 HDMI to VGA Adapter
Like the other HDMI to VGA converter branded by Benfei in the market, this adapter can provide similar quality. Their 000155black and 000181black model’s main difference is that the former is a shorter male-to-female version of the latter version.
The best thing Benfei offers with their adapters is the superior signal stability provided by the core advanced IC chip. It allows the adapter to convert the digital HDMI source into a clean analog VGA output to show a sharp and crisp image.
This adapter supports various resolutions, so I wouldn’t have any problem connecting it to different screen sizes. In detail, this device will work and give excellent output, whether it’s a 640 x 480 or 1080p Full HD monitor. It’s also compatible with almost all HDMI plugs in the market – so rest assured that it performs well on almost any device you own.
I like that Benfei offers an 18-month warranty on this item. It gives me confidence that the maker would stand behind their product. It also comes at a very reasonable price and is one of the more affordable adapters available.
- Comes with a built-in IC chip for excellent signal conversion
- Supports various resolutions up to 1080p Full HD
- Compatible with most HDMI plugs on the market
- Has an 18-month manufacturer warranty
- An affordable adapter
- Not compatible with some Sony and Apple devices
6. Cable Matters HDMI to VGA Adapter
This HDMI to VGA active converter comes from a reputable electronic brand – Cable Matters. Since it is a micro-USB powered adapter, the device will work even with low-power devices like MacBooks and PS4s. It is the perfect companion if you want to use the latest gadgets on your legacy screens.
Besides using it for presentations, you can also use this at home or in the office to extend your desktop and give you more working space, thanks to its compatibility with many devices.
Comes in standard sizing, this portable device will easily fit in any of your laptop bag’s pockets. Its lightweight build and small dimensions make it perfect for professionals always on the move.
This adapter utilizes a smart chip to enhance the signal from digital to analog to improve its output. You can rely on the device to display multiple resolutions and aspect ratios – like 1080p Full HD and the legacy 4:3 ratio of old monitors and screens.
You can even use this as an HDMI to VGA converter for PS4, giving you the flexibility to use a single adapter, even for your future upgrades.
- Works with low-power devices like MacBooks and PS4s
- Lightweight and portable recommended for use when on the go
- Can be used for screen mirroring and for desktop extension
- Utilizes smart chip technology for better output
- Displays multiple resolutions and aspect ratios
- Not HDCP compliant and may not work with some Blu-Ray and DVD players
7. AmazonBasics HDMI to VGA Adapter
This active HDMI to VGA converter is introduced to users by Amazon under their own brand. It’s an easy-to-use compact-sized converter that can be powered via its built-in micro-USB port. It also has an audio output so that you can connect your speakers to its 3.5 mm jack.
The converter’s connectors are gold-plated to resist abrasion and corrosion for reliable use in the long haul. Such a premium construction also improves analog signal transmission for better viewing quality. With this adapter, you can view your videos and images on your legacy monitor at maximum sharpness and clarity.
Multiple resolutions can be used with this HDMI to VGA converters – like 720p HD, 1600 x 1200 for HD monitors and projectors, and 1080p Full HD. So no matter what device you’re using, the adapter can adjust to its output and transmit the best quality resolution to your screen.
And since it’s a powered device, it’s compatible with almost all HDMI-equipped devices. This adapter will run on nearly all gadgets, whether equipped with regular HDMI ports with a 5V output or a low-power HDMI slot.
The only downside with this product is that it’s not compliant with any DRM or digital rights management protocols. Some devices, like DVD and Blu-ray players, have HDMI ports that require this function, so this converter won’t work with them.
We suggest you check the specifications of your source devices before making the purchase.
- Compact size makes it easy to use
- Comes with an audio output port to transmit both sound and image
- Gold-plated connectors for prolonged use and better signal transmission
- Compatible with different resolutions up to a maximum of 1080p Full HD
- Work well with low-power HDMI slots
- Not compliant with any DRM protocol
8. UGREEN Active HDMI to VGA Adapter
Like the previous HDMI to VGA review for UGreen, this product features an excellent build quality – which is this manufacturer’s trademark.
This adapter sports a male VGA connector and a female HDMI plug. Thus, it is beneficial in settings where you already have an existing HDMI cable but no HDMI plug on your screen.
Since this is an active adapter, it has a micro-USB port to power it, should your device sport a low-power HDMI port. With an added power supply, the converter can work with almost all devices, including Apple MacBooks and Sony PS4s. And because it had an audio jack, you can utilize your gear’s HDMI port for clear sound and high-quality pictures.
Accordingly, this adapter has extensive compatibility. The maker has tested this device on desktops, laptops, TV sticks, the Raspberry Pi, tablets, digital cameras, video cameras, and other equipment with an HDMI port. It can also transmit a signal to TVs, monitors, projectors, and basically any display with a VGA port.
Aside from physical compatibility, it can also work with multipple resolutions, up to 720p, 1080i, or 1080p Full HD.
Such a wide range of connections, plus its robust, gold-plated connectors for increased durability, makes it probably the only adapter you’ll need for the rest of your life.
- Active adapter will work even with low-power HDMI ports
- Features an audio output jack to transmit both sound and picture from one port
- Extensive compatibility with multiple devices and screens
- Can work with numerous resolutions up to 720p, 1080i, 1080p full HD
- Robust, gold-plated connectors increase item durability
- Might cast a green tint on some TV screens
9. Belkin B2B127-BLK HDMI to VGA Adapter
The Belkin Universal HDMI to VGA adapter kit was one of the most mentioned models when I asked about adapters on Reddit. According to my online friends, an HDMI to VGA adapter review has considered this as the one to buy if you want to get the best.
I appreciate the well-thought-out design of this high-end adaptor. In truth, the manufacturer included Male-to-Male adapters to use the converter with both a TV stick (such as Chromecast or Roku) or with other larger devices (like my laptop or my Apple TV). They also included an audio cable for sound output to present for several people at one time.
The adapter is compatible with low-power HDMIs, but it requires additional power via its micro-USB port. It also extracts the audio from the digital signal and outputs it via the 3.5 mm audio jack, so this adapter alone is enough to provide both audio and video.
I’ve tried this recently, and I’ve found that it’s really well-built. The ports are stable and don’t move, even when I wiggle them. Furthermore, the adapter doesn’t creak even when I press down on it hard. Such construction is an excellent choice if you want a quality product that stands the test of time.
- One of the best-branded adapters in the market
- Includes male-to-male HDMI adapters for use with both laptops and TV sticks
- Compatible with low-power HDMI ports
- Built-in 3.5 mm audio jack for sound output
- olidly-built and will last when used properly
- A high-end product that costs more than most adapters
10. QGeeM HDMI to VGA Adapter
Once on a business trip, I left my adapter at home, so I needed a convert HDMI to VGA cable for my presentation the following day. Luckily, I came across this QGeeM adapter, a reasonably priced device that allowed me to perform without hassle.
I appreciate how the converter promotes the screen use in two ways – either as a duplicate for presentation use or as an extension when I’m working. As a result, I have more working space than with my old adaptor and finish my work in a shorter time.
This adapter’s female VGA receiver has screws points on it to secure the cable. Such a feature ensures that the converter will not come loose and lose the signal during your presentation or essential work. The molded strain-relief design also adds to its durability – which is perfect for on-the-go tasks.
I had no problems using it with the different monitors and projectors during my meetings. I can say it’s broadly compatible with most VGA receivers out there – making me confident that I won’t have any technical issues during presentations.
My only gripe about this is that it didn’t work with my companion’s Apple laptop. I think it’s more of a port issue than a cable issue because it works perfectly well with my computer. Most probably, the HDMI port must output more power so that the adapter would work.
Yet, if you encounter any issues, just contact the brand’s tech service. They are quick and helpful.
- Reasonably priced adapter
- Works in two modes – either as a screen duplicate or as a screen extension
- VGA receiver comes with screw points to secure the VGA cable
- Molded strain-relief design adds to adapter durability
- Compatible with most devices that have VGA ports
- Quick and helpful customer support
- Does not with low-power HDMI ports – like those on Apple laptops
11. VicTsing HDMI to VGA Adapter
This HDMI to VGA adapter graphics card will let you output analog VGA signals from your HDMI port. It has a built-in smart integrated circuit to process the signal and output a sharp, crisp image. Furthermore, the device sports a micro-USB port to work even with low-powered HDMI output.
Aside from its compatibility with low-power devices, it also has a 3.5 mm audio jack, which will let you listen to the audio while the adapter is transmitting images to the VGA port. With this, you can enjoy watching on TVs without the need for an external speaker.
You can utilize this product for multiple purposes due to its compatibility with common resolutions for TVs – including 720p, 1600 x 1200, and 1080p Full HD. Such a feature gives users the flexibility to set the best resolution for their contents without risking it becoming misshapen because of incompatible screen sizes and ratios.
This adapter also has a robust design – with its gold-plated connectors to resist abrasion. Plus, the product is rigid and functional, significantly enhancing signal quality. It also comes with a short four-inch cable to alleviate strain and prevent damage to the HDMI port on your device.
- Comes with a built-in smart integrated circuit for crisp image results
- Built-in micro-USB port for use with low-power HDMI ports
- Has a 3.5 mm audio jack output for sound transmission
- Compatible with most resolutions: 720p, 1600 x 1200, and 1080p
- Robust design, with gold-plated connectors and four-inch cable to avoid strain
- Some delivered adapters are faulty; best to check immediately upon arrival
12. VicTsing HDMI to VGA Adapter
This portable VicTsing Adapter is a convenient option I found when looking for a way for my laptop to output VGA from HDMI. It’s a very small doodad that plugs directly into my device, making it quite easy to use. It’s also no bigger than an eraser, so it’s easy to keep anywhere.
I like how its built-in chip can cleanly convert the digital signal into an analog one. There are no artifacts in the output, and it can support resolutions from 480p to 1080p. The smart tool allows me to maximize my new laptop’s output quality despite the old monitor that I’m using.
Since it’s a plug and play device, it has wide applications and will typically work with any device that sports a powered HDMI port.
The gold plated connectors utilized in this device makes it resistant to corrosion and abrasion from the continuous plugging and unplugging of devices. It also enhances analog signal transmission so that you can avoid disruptions when you’re watching.
Besides, its single-piece design also avoids the possibility of internal wire breaks, so it tends to last longer than other common designs.
- Small and portable – no bigger than an eraser
- Built-in converter chip makes for clean and crisp output
- Supports multiple resolutions from 480p up to 1080p
- Gold-plated connectors for durability and better signal transmission
- Plug-and-play device will work with most powered HDMI ports
- No VGA screw-down points can cause the connection to loosen over time
What to Look for When Buying HDMI to VGA Converters
Primarily, there are two kinds of HDMI to VGA converters – active and passive. Active converters have a power port that will allow you to use them with low power ports and usually include an audio output jack. Passive converters usually output images/video and aren’t compatible with low-power HDMIs. You should know which port you have before making a purchase decision.
You should also consider the ports and cables that you have available. For example, if you have a laptop with an HDMI port and a screen with an existing male-to-male VGA cable, you need a male-to-female HDMI to VGA adapter. But if you need to plug a Chromecast device into your VGA monitor, you should go for the female-to-female HDMI to VGA adapter instead.
Another consideration would be the purpose of the adapter. Is it only for the home? Or do you intend to use it on the go? There are extra-long adapter cables designed for use when your computer is distant from your screen, and there are also light and small adapters intended for use on the go. Choose accordingly to your needs.
Lastly, read through product reviews. You wouldn’t want to purchase a low rating product because it means that its quality isn’t as good as the other options. I highly recommend choosing from reputable brands such as Belkin, UGreen, Amazon Basics, or Cable Matters.
Can You Convert HDMI to VGA? How?
Yes, you can convert a digital HDMI signal into an analog VGA. You can do that by using a specialized HDMI-to-VGA adapter, which will take the digital signals, process them with its built-in chip, and then output an analog VGA signal.
Why is My HDMI to VGA Adapter Not Working?
The most common cause of non-working adapters is because you’re using a passive adapter with a low-power HDMI port. You should check with the manual of your device to confirm if that is the case. If so, you should acquire an active adapter to get a video signal through your VGA screen.
On the other hand, if you’re positive that the HDMI port is powered with at least 5V, you should check for loose connections. If there are none, check the wiring to see if there are any broken wires inside. You could also plug the adapter into another TV or device to see if the issue is with the adapter or the screen/computer.
If your screen is still in good working condition but lacks an HDMI port, I see no reason to upgrade to a newer device. By simply purchasing the best HDMI to VGA converter for you, you will not only save money but also lessen your carbon footprint and help save the environment.
Most of our TV screens and projectors are designed to last so much longer than our other gadgets. Let us make the most out of them and be a good steward of both our financial resources and our environment.
I am Edwin Jones, in charge of designing content for Galvinpower. I aspire to use my experiences in marketing to create reliable and necessary information to help our readers. It has been fun to work with Andrew and apply his incredible knowledge to our content.